Labels

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

4 T. butter
4 T. flour
1/4 t. salt
dash pepper
1 C. hot water (I use chicken broth for extra flavor)
1 chicken bouillon cube (when I doubled the recipe, I used 3, again, for flavor)
1 C. milk
2 C. cooked chicken, cut in pieces (great for leftovers, and I've used both boiled and grilled chicken)
1 C. cooked carrots
1 can green beans, drained
1 potato, cooked, peeled, and cubed
I also add celery, canned or frozen corn, peas, whatever I have in my pantry and sounds good together.

Melt butter, stir in flour, salt and pepper.  Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water; stir into flour mixture, add milk, and stir constantly over medium heat until thickened.  Combine sauce with chicken and vegetables.  Leave to cool while you make the crust.

Crust:
2 C. flour
1 C. shortening
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. cold water

Use fork or pastry tool to combine flour and shortening, add salt and water and use as little handling as possible to combine.  Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes or so.  Roll out and make top and bottom crusts, just like you would with an apple pie.

Pour filling into pie crust, put top crust on, and cut a couple of slits to vent.  Cover with tinfoil and freeze.

To finish, I try to remove it from the freezer about an hour before baking it.  Cover the edges with tinfoil until the last 10 minutes or so of cooking to prevent the crust from burning.  Then bake at 400 degrees for 70 minutes or so until crust is brown and mixture is bubbly. These are really fun in the individual sized disposable pie tins, but you have to adjust the time.  This recipe makes 2 regular sized pies or 3 or 4 little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment